Are you thinking of adding a new furry companion to your family but you're not sure if you'd like a puppy or a kitten? Our Zeeland vets can offer some advice on why raising puppies and kittens together is a good idea.
About Raising Puppies & Kittens Together
While it's always exciting to bring a new pet home, it can be daunting to get two new fur babies at the same time. There are many benefits to raising your new puppy and kitten together. When dogs and cats are properly introduced at a young age, the fear and hate instincts do not have a chance to grow, and they may be able to overcome any animosity.
That said, this is not always the case — it can depend on the breed but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be a perfect match.
Our vets at Zeeland Veterinary Service discuss why raising a puppy and kitten at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Generally, puppies and kittens are a good match for each other for several different reasons, such as:
- Keep Each Other Company - A pet misses you when you need to leave the house. Having a puppy and kitten at home together gives them someone to keep them company on those days when you can't be there.
- Personal Hygiene - You'll notice that your puppy and kitten start to clean each other. This is them telling each other that it's time for a bath.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
One benefit of raising a puppy and a kitten together is that they will most likely be the best of friends for life. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Certain types of dogs -- those with a strong prey drive -- aren't usually good with felines. Think twice about keeping any kind of terrier, sighthound, or husky with cats. Spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good with kittens.
Puppy & Kitten Veterinary Care at Zeeland Veterinary Service
Your puppy and kitten deserve the highest quality of veterinary care during the first year of their lives and beyond. It will be a busy year, one full of joy and exciting memories, but also some important healthcare business to tend to such as vaccines, blood tests and physical exams to check their health.
Our vets in Zeeland are here to administer vaccines, conduct any diagnostic testing that may be required, address your questions and concerns and provide guidance and advice as you navigate your young pets' first year.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.